Cleyera are versatile broadleaf evergreens, featuring oval, leathery, glossy leaves, which can be grown as shrubs or small trees. Several varieties have reddish new growth. All grow densely upright with a low spreading branch habit, with a roundish form and can be kept compact through shaping, although trimming is seldom necessary. Small creamy-white to yellow blooms offer a fragrance in early summer. There are several variegated varieties. These plants form a good hedge or background plant in the landscape.
- Sun to Part Sun (can take quite a bit of shade)
- Plant in fertile, moist yet well-drained soil
- Grow best in acidic soil with regular watering
- Mulch to help soil retain moisture
- Larger varieties make good screening plants
- Size is variety specific
Landscape features include attractive glossy foliage with reddish new growth. Fragrant flowers produced in early summer. Works well as a screening plant.