Arkansas Gardening Calendar
Water, water, water! Monitor how much water you are applying by placing a small container in the lawn area; the goal is 1.5 inches per week, and infrequent deep waterings are better for your lawn than daily shorter waterings. To cut down on water run-off, instead of watering for 30 minutes at one time, water in 3 10 minute segments.
- There are many ways to increase your sprinkler system efficiency, check with our specialist for modification ideas.
- Watering early in the morning before 5:30 am before plants get heat stressed.
- After this month, stop applying nitrogen fertilizer to azaleas and other shrubs.
- Fertilize annuals with bloom boosting BR-61; there is still time for your flowers to finish strong!
- Spot treat weeds in lawns.
- Treat crapemyrtles with Systemic Insect Control after blooming ends to protect against and treat for Crapemyrtle Bark Scale.